Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Brotherhood of Motorcyclists


My husband just bought a motorcycle.  I wasn't too excited about it at first but I do have to admit he looks pretty hot when he rides it, so I think I'm good with it now.  Our children all think he's the coolest dad in the world and they look at him on his motorcycle with such childlike awe...it's very cute.  He didn't buy it to be cool though, he bought it to save us some money.  I think it will accomplish that goal eventually, after we get him all outfitted with the proper motorcycle attire (to further enhance his coolness of course).

So, now that we have a motorcycle in the family, I'm noticing other motorcyclists.  I've never paid any attention to them before.  It's like there's been this whole secret world out there under my nose and I never saw it until I joined it (via my husband...I'm not going to ride the thing). And I've discovered something interesting about this world...there is an unstated brotherhood of motorcyclists.  If you are on a motorcycle and another motorcycle passes you, you get a wave of acknowledgement.  It's amazing to me, this person doesn't even know you and yet you get a gesture of acceptance.  And he could be across the freeway divide, six lanes away from you and you will still get his respect (unless he's a Harley snob and you're on a Honda...I guess there is some discrimination).  I've asked Mike if he's been invited into this club and he says yeah, he gets waved at all the time and he's only been riding for 2 weeks now.

Well, as I think of this I can't help but think, "wouldn't it be nice if we all did this with one another?"  When I'm in my green Toyota sienna, I do not get any special treatment from other van drivers.  People in cars don't like each other, people on motorcycles do.  People in cars will find any reason to grump and complain about those other "stupid" drivers,  people on motorcycles give each other grace and respect.  What is this?  It makes me have to stop and think.  Philippians 4:5  says I should let my gentle spirit be evident to all because I know the Lord is near and he is watching over not only all of the good but the evil too (Prov. 15:3), they participate in his notice and care.   I may be tucked safely inside my car, but God sees my scowl and he hears my complaining and very UN-gentle spirit.  

What about outside the car and just in the arena of life?  Do I automatically give people acceptance and respect like a motorcyclist does to his fellow?  Do I make it my ambition to never repay evil for evil or insult for insult?  Is my goal to bless others, to seek their good and not my own?  How about being patient with them or always looking for ways to speak with grace as if seasoning the hard blandness of life with salt, with acceptable and enjoyable flavor so that all who eat of it are filled with good things.  Do I want to be known as one who is harmonious, sympathetic, friendly, kindhearted and humble with all people?  This is who I want to be.  This is who I hope we all want to be.  This is who Jesus is.

What about the recent election?  If we were like the brotherhood of motorcyclists we would look at our fellow American and although he's riding a different set of wheels and his gear is red while mine is blue, we would still wave at each other with respect and admiration because we are both Americans.  I didn't see a lot of that kind of attitude from the camp I usually side with unfortunately.  I saw people in their cars, behind their tinted windows cursing at the other drivers because they weren't exactly like them.  So out of the same mouths I would hear praises for our Lord and then curses against those made in his likeness.  Some may not like the man God chose to be our president (and if you think God didn't choose him, look up Romans chapter 13 and Daniel 2:21) but he has been made in the image of God and for that reason alone he deserves our respect.  Yet that's not all, he's been chosen to lead this country (a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) and that deserves our honor and obedience on top of our respect.  

Our duty is to love others and stand on God's truth, always rejoicing and overflowing with gratitude.  It's God's business to execute judgment and determine people's motivations.  For now, I choose to believe the best about people as much as I can, even those I disagree with.   I want to give a gentle answer and send any kind of wrath or anger packing.  I want to use sweet words that heal those who listen.  I want to cover people around me with love and grace, not hatred and judgement.  Have you ever realized that God passionately hates complaining? He put a whole mess of his own people to death because of it (Numbers 16).  If you ever just read through the Bible and look for all the times he commands us to rejoice and be thankful, you'll be astounded.  Complaining poisons the soul and cannot be called anything else but sin.  Man, when I'm hidden "inside my car" it's so easy to complain.  I think it doesn't effect anyone else, but it does.  It effects all of my "driving".  It steals the joy from my face, it spoils my sweetness and it robs others of seeing the Spirit's beautiful glory...so basically I'm stealing from God.

I'm not sure how all of this comes from observing motorcyclists.  I think their brotherhood just sparked some things in me to consider.  Maybe they are one of those little pictures in life that God gives us to open our eyes, to give us tangible reminders of how we should treat one another. So now whenever I'm out driving around town and I see the motorcyclists waving at each other: acknowledging, accepting and respecting perfect strangers, it reminds me to show that same courtesy to all people no matter what or who they are.  We are fellow human beings, created in God's image and our job is to love everyone and let God take care of the judging.  We are in a brotherhood of humankind, a club where all the members are image bearers of the one true God. We live here together and God reigns over the just and the unjust alike and I am going to honor the people he has made...well, at least I'm going to try to by the Spirit's grace.  But don't judge me too harshly if you see me tailing the slowpoke (my worst habit).  Sometimes I forget what club I belong to.  Just wave to me from across the freeway and jog my memory.

Scriptures to ponder:
I Pet. 3:8-9; 2 Tim. 2:24-26; I Thess. 5:14-15; Eph. 4:2; Gal. 5:26; Phil. 4:5; I Cor. 10:10 & 24; 
Col. 4:6; Prov. 10:12; Prov. 12:14; Prov. 15:1; Prov. 16:7 & 24; James 3

4 comments:

Anna Bendorf said...

Heidi,

Thank you so much for inviting me to your blog - I have really enjoyed reading it! I so agree about the fall - I love it too, but sometimes it is a struggle.

Take care, and enjoy all the true northwest fall weather for me!
-Anna Bendorf

Joyce said...

I love your writing. I love blogging too.... it is very important to clear our minds. And I totally agree with you about our president elect. He needs our prayers as much as President Bush did. Thanks for sharing your blog with me!

Steve said...

Our church secretary and her husband both ride Harleys and they came to church on their bikes. It was neat but I sure ain't getting on one. Thank you Heidi for your insights. It not only touched my heart but pricked my conscience.

Love, MOM

Steve said...

Hi Heidi, your Pop here...
1) I'm really going to enjoy reading your blog, since you are such a gifted writer! I so look forward to receiving Father's Day and birthday cards from you, because I know I'll get a heartfelt letter along with. But now every week will be Father's day for me!
2) I, too, have been convicted about my own, easily forgiven (by myself, only) mild version of road rage. So I've come up with a solution that so far has worked well: I have 3 rules: 1) I must not talk AT other drivers; 2) Nor will I even talk to them (even reasoning with a slowpoke is a form of complaint); 3) I will take my frustration with the other driver as a reminder to pray for him or her, and for myself, for patience and more care in my driving. And this could be a 4th rule: maybe I could learn a thing or two for my own driving improvement!
3) On our last long trip I noticed motorcyclists waving to one another -- never saw it before. But they do it low, at hip level, mostly. I thought it was pretty cool, but the perspective you offered, well that was awesome. Don't be surprised if I write a poem on it!
4) You are certainly your father's daughter -- I'd like to think in the area of interesting writing, but I can guarantee this one: no shortage of words!!!
Your Pop loves you!